View My Stats

Monday, September 12, 2011

IT'S ARTS AND CRAFTS TIME!!!

I am absolutely in love with the headband trend.. In fact I never leave the house without one. So, as you can imagine I have  a LOT of headbands. Every size every color, with bows, without bows... and the list goes on. I have been keeping them in a basket on my dresser for some time now. That worked wonderfully when I had a modest collection, now however, it looks like this......
So, I went searching the web for ideas on what to do with my headbands. I got this really great idea from my FAV plus size fashionista, TheStyleSupreme, on youtube (you guys gotta check her out!) She came up with the idea of taking oatmeal cans and decorating them! Here is her video on her headband holders that she made; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fd5JZnrHyQ.  This inspired me to make my own headband holders So, I went to the dollar tree (man I love me some dollar tree), and was able to purchase absolutely everything I needed for my little crafty project for under $10!! As you can imagine I was personally stoked. If you want to know how I made my very own headband holders then stick around, and read on down.... (hey that rhymed)
Here's what you're going to need...
Two 1lb cans of oatmeal (or three or however many you think you'll need. Each one holds roughly 10 headbands, depending on the size)
Some wrapping paper (or fabric, or shelf liner, anything will work, as long as it's wide enough to to cover the length of the can)
Tacky Glue
Ribbon
and something to decorate the cans with. ( At the dollar tree, in the home good section they have these awesome wall stickers. They are large and in charge. So, I got 2 different patterns. They have several to choose from. )


Now for the procedure...
You are going to need something to put the oatmeal in. Or if you eat it on a regular basis and you already have the cans empty, then you're one step ahead. We however do not eat oatmeal on a regular basis (until now) so i needed a vessel in which to place my oatmeal. Two actually....



Then, you are going to remove the paper from the outside of the cans. (make sure to keep one of the wrappers hole, and in a drawer somewhere if you are anything like me and don't know how to make oatmeal, thank God for directions.)









Next, your going to need to measure out the width of the can and mark it on the paper, as well as the length of paper it will take to cover the can.












After you have your piece of paper cut out, if it is not self sticking, then you are going to use the tacky glue to adhere the paper (or fabric) to the can. (I didn't take a pic of this because I forgot.... sorry) I have found, to prevent the paper from getting that wet look from the sections of glue, that one strip of tacky glue along the length can for the first half of the paper, and one strip along top of the paper where they meet will hold the paper on just fine, as well as prevent the "glue" look.

OK, next you are going to want to tuck in the ends around the bottom and top.


I used a glue stick to run along the inside of the can, and then fold down the edges.






Alright, now can decorate your little can.
 First, I took ribbon and glued it along the top, and bottom seams. This covers up any uneven cut lines on the paper.
 Observe the gluing of the the ribbon...

**ooooo.... ahhhhh....**

Then I added my stickers. I ended up putting 4 on all together.

(I love frogs.... and peace....)





OK, that's it, here's the finished product...

I had added that flower. Then later decided against it.









And here they are with all my headbands on them. It's great to because I am able to place things inside the cans, and clips around the edge. This really cleaned up my dresser!!






I hope you guys enjoyed this little crafty project, and try it for yourselves.... Leave me a comment or a pic of yours if you try it.
Talk to you guys later
Jen
**PS - let me know if there are any products that you would like me to review, or tutorials that you are interested in.**

No comments:

Post a Comment