View My Stats

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Beauty for LESS! NUMBER 2

Next on the list of beauty for less we have..... Facial cleansers. If you don't have a problem with acne, and can use just any old soap for your face.... then you are one lucky gal! I really thought that with age came clearer skin.... nope I was wrong. So, what's the best on the market for acne treatment?

This set of three steps will run you any where from $19.99 - $25.00 PLUS shipping and handling. (or the terrible feat of walking into the mall with the awful smell of food court mixed with Abercrombie & Fitch perfume that's being pumped through the air ducts!) And for your money you get a 2oz bottle of cleanser, a 2oz bottle of toner, and a 1oz bottle of repairing lotion. That's roughly $2.50 per oz. From what I hear it's great stuff... I mean look at all the celebrities that use it... they NEVER lie for the sake of a buck! ;)




I however have a hard time paying that... and I hate ordering online. So, I did my research and found the active ingredients in these products. Then I went on a hunt to find alternatives. Here, for you reading pleasure are the ingredients of Proactive.

Whatare the ingredients in the Original Proactiv 3-Step System?
RENEWINGCLEANSER (Original Proactiv)
Active Ingredient: Benzoyl Peroxide,2.5%
InactiveIngredients: water (aqua), magnesium aluminum silicate, glyceryl stearate,PEG-100 stearate, disodium PEG-12 dimethicone sulfosuccinate, sorbitol,dimethyl isosorbide, tridecyl stearate, neopentyl glycol dicaprylate/dicaprate,polyethylene, cetyl esters, anthemis nobilis flower extract, sodiumhyaluronate, sodium PCA, xanthan gum, tridecyl trimellitate, propylene glycol,Imidazolidinyl urea, methylparaben, propylparaben, fragrance (parfum)
REVITALIZINGTONER
Ingredients:water (aqua), glycolic acid, hamamelisvirginiana (witch hazel) extract, anthemis nobilis flower extract, rosacanina fruit extract, aloe barbadensis leaf juice, sodium PCA, panthenol,glycerin, propylene glycol, allantoin, polysorbate 20, hydroxyethylcellulose,sodium hydroxide, benzophenone-4, tetrasodium EDTA, imidazolidinyl urea,methylparaben, propylparaben, fragrance (parfum), blue 1 (CI 42090), yellow 5(CI 19140)
REPAIRINGLOTION (Original Proactiv)
Active Ingredients: Benzoyl Peroxide,2.5%
InactiveIngredients: water (aqua), ethoxydiglycol, cyclotetrasiloxane, propyleneglycol, cetearyl alcohol, dimethicone, glyceryl stearate, PEG-100 stearate,cyclopentasiloxane, panthenol, allantoin, xanthan gum, ceteareth-20, carbomer,triethanolamine, diazolidinyl urea, methylparaben, propylparaben, fragrance(parfum)
I got this list off of the official Proactive website. http://customercare.proactiv.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/349

So, the hunt began... I searched far and wide for cheaper alternatives, until I ended up at the mecca of all things cheaper... Wal-Mart. Here's what I found.
The Cleanser...

This cleanser is also sold in a set of three much like the Proactive. The entire set cost roughly $15.00. However, I only purchased the cleanser by itself (because I wanted to try other products) and the cost was $5.97 for 8oz. I was using this product for years as a teenager, then I branched out to try other things, however I always come back to this because it's the one product that I have found that will clear up a breakout in 2 days! The active ingredient is benzoyl peroxide, 2.5%. The same ingredient, and concentration as in the proactive for much less, and when I say less I mean $0.75 per oz. Keep in mind that equate now has their own line of this, with the same ingredients, and concentrations. This just happened to be what I picked up that day at wal-mart, but I use them interchangeably.

The Toner...
Now, this was simple for me, only because I have been using it FOREVER.

Witch Hazel. If you look at the ingredient list for the Proactive toner you will see that the number one ingredient is witch hazel, however it also contains, glycolic acid, fragrance (parfum), blue 1 (CI 42090), yellow 5(CI 19140), a long with a bunch of other words I can't pronounce. Look at the ingredients in Witch hazel, there is only distilled Witch Hazel, and 14% alcohol. That's it! Witch Hazel has been around for ages for the treatment of minor scrapes, sunburn, and hemorrhoids, yes ladies if you have had a baby it's the same stuff they give you for....cleaning post...evacuation. So, with all that said, this stuff works great after washing your face. Basically it has a very neutral Ph. (7.35 - 7.45) Which happens to be the same Ph as your body, once you wash your face you strip you skin of not only dirt buy also the natural oils. So, right after your skin is washed and the pores are still open, using witch hazel brings your Ph back to neutral, and thus preventing bacteria growth (zits). Also, it works great for the guys in your life too. Witch Hazel is one of the best aftershaves you can buy, and it doesn't burn! Did I also mention that you can get a bottle of this stuff at Wal-Mart for $1.97. It's in the first aid isle, right beside the peroxide, and rubbing alcohol. There are two down sides to Witch Hazel, the first is, it can be a bit drying so moisturizing is very necessary if you are prone to dry skin, and two, it kind of smells funny when you first put it on. It reminds me of bacon for whatever reason, which is cool with me, I mean I love bacon, but it goes away quickly and the smell does not linger on your face. (however, there was that on time I woke up with my husband licking my face....never mind.JK) All in all I feel like it is not only a cheaper choice, but a natural one as well.


The Repairing Lotion...


I have tried many facial lotions over the last couple years, and none had made me happy until....

Now, this is a generic for the Acne Free kind, just like the cleanser they are exactly the same and I use them interchangeably. This bottle is about $4, and the Acne free kind is roughly $5, so if they are out of one I just get the other. but just like the Proactive brand the active ingredient is Benzoyl Peroxide 2.5% mixed in with an oil free lotion, so it moisturizes, as well and fights acne! I like it!



You can also buy benzoyl peroxide in a stronger form at local drug stores. It comes in 10% formulations, and is great if you have a pesky bump that won't go away. This stuff works like magic literally overnight. I do not recommend it for every day use however. Just when you have an active breakout, and only use it on the infected part, not all over!


This is what it looks like. I got mine at Target, but it's also at Wal-Mart. This is about $3, and will last you FOREVER. It only takes a small amount.










Well, that's my story on facial care for less. I hope this helps you guys out. Let me know if you try an of these products, and what you think. Also, let me know if you have found alternatives for beauty products!!
Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment